What is Lap Swimming?
Lap Swimming occurs in a regular width size lane and is available for individuals who wish to swim laps for fitness, or for training purposes.
For Rehabilitation Swimming in shallow water with a wider lane please visit the rehabilitation swimming page (online bookings essential).
Lap Swimming bookings comprise of a 45-minute swim, commencing on the hour, and allows time for you to make your way to the change rooms before the next session commences. There is no carry-over into the next session. A maximum of 2 swimmers per Lap Swimming Lane is observed. Please read our terms and conditions below before you make a booking.
Lap Swimming is available for the following options:
Deep water Lap Swim - 50m
Deep water Lap Swimming is available in the 50m Competition Pool. Deep water pools are heated to approximately 27°C.
Deep water Lap Swim - 25m
Deep water Lap Swimming is available in the 25m Water Polo/Dive Pool or Competition Pool. Deep water pools are heated to approximately 27°C.
Shallow water Lap Swim - 25m
Shallow water Lap Swimming is available in the 25m Rehab & Hydro Pool. The Rehab and Hydro Pool is heated to approximately 32°C with an access ramp.
Lap Swimming terms and conditions
Please read the following terms and conditions before you make a Lap Swimming booking.
1. You can book in for the following under the following categories:
a. Active Member: For those that hold a valid active Gym & Swim membership at the SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre. Included in active membership and will not display a cost on booking. Members must swipe their card or wristband at the gates for access.
b. Swim Pass Holder: for individuals that have visits remaining on their active Multi-Visit swim pass to the SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre. Multi-Visit Swim Pass bookings with visits on their pass will have one visit, per booking deducted from their existing pass
c. Casual Visitors & Suspended Members: Pay per-use booking. Casual visitors/suspended members are required to first check-in at the Front Desk. Casual visitors/suspended members are required to first check-in at the Front Desk.
d. Concession Casual (available for shallow water lap swimming only): Pay per-use booking for those who possess a concession/senior’s card. Concession bookings must bring their concession/seniors card to the front desk. Casual visitors/suspended members are required to first check-in at the Front Desk.
2. Pre-bookings are required.
3. Refunds are not available. Your booking time can be changed via the confirmation email's "manage booking" option.
4. We recommend each individual makes a booking for no more than one session per day to maximum of 3 bookings per week. This is to allow many people in our community to access the Centre.
5. We recommend booking no earlier than 48 hours prior to the session commencing. Bookings can be made anytime for the next available time frame.
6. “Multi Visit Swim Pass Holders” will be deducted for “no-shows”.
6. No locker access is permitted; belongings are not to be left in change rooms. Please leave your valuable personal items at home.
7. Patrons are to bring own water bottles. No other food or drink is permitted into the SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre.
8. For contact tracing purposes and for traffic flow and social distancing purposes visitors and members, who are attending the centre for Lap Swimming, must pre-book their swim, providing their contact details upon booking. Members and Multi-visit pass holders must also bring their access card or wristband to scan at the Centre on entry. If required, replacement cards and wristbands are available at the front desk for $8.
9. The following services are currently not available:
a. Steam Room and Sauna Room
Social distancing, safety, health and hygiene
10. The patron is responsible for adhering to social distancing, health and hygiene guidelines:
a. Always keep a 1.5 metre distance between yourself and others. Lanes are shared - a maximum of 2 swimmers per Lap Swimming Lane is observed.
b. Adhere to assigned entry and exit points
c. Shower before entering the pools
d. Stay home, do not attend your booked session and seek testing if you have the following symptoms:
ii. Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
iv. Unexplained loss of smell or altered sense of taste
v. Chills and body aches or muscle pain
vi. A sore throat
viii. Runny nose
e. Wash your hands often and cover coughs and sneezes
11. Deep-water lap swimming bookings are a minimum depth of 3 metres:
a. The patron is responsible for ensuring they are confident of their swimming ability in a deep-water environment.
12. Swimmers can be accompanied by one carer who is not swimming. There is an allocated seating area on pool deck for caregivers. Under The South Australian Carers Recognition Act 2005 a carer is defined as the following:
(1) a person is a carer for the purposes of this Act if he or she is a natural person who provides ongoing care or assistance to—
(a) a person who has a disability within the meaning of the Disability Inclusion Act 2018; or
(b) a person who has a chronic illness, including a mental illness within the meaning of the Mental Health Act 1993; or
(c) a person who, because of frailty, requires assistance with the carrying out of everyday tasks; or
(d) a person of a class prescribed by regulation.
13. As per the SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre’s Supervision Policy. Children under the age of 10 must be supervised by a parent or guardian. Swimmers under 10 years of age can be accompanied by one parent who is not swimming. There is an allocated seating area on pool deck for supervising parents/guardian. Please note that for children 10 years and older who are competent swimmers in 3 metre deep water, a parent is not required to be present in the Centre.
14.The patron must adhere to the standard Conditions of Entry to the SA Aquatic & Leisure Centre (view them here)
15. Vulnerable and elderly people with chronic health conditions should speak to their doctor about what is appropriate for them
Lap Swimming Procedures
16. Please arrive at the Centre entry 5 minutes prior to your session commencing.
17. A maximum of 2 swimmers per Lap Swimming Lane is observed.
18. Do not enter the water until your pre-booked time.
19. The one-hour booking consists of one hour in the facility, commencing on the hour. Lifeguards will provide instructions when it is time to exit the pool, prepare to exit the Centre and collect your belongings. Patrons must depart the centre prior to the next hour commencing.
20. Late arrivals must swim within their booking hour and cannot carry over into the next hour.
Failure to comply with the above terms and conditions of entry may result in restrictions for further bookings.
Lap Swimming Times:
|Deep Water||Shallow Water|
|Monday to Friday – 5am to 8pm
Saturday – 5am to 5pm
Sunday – 7am to 5pm
|Monday to Friday – 5am to 3pm AND 7pm to 8pm
Saturday – 5am to 8am AND 3pm to 5pm
Sunday – 7am to 8am AND 3pm to 5pm
At different times of the year, lap lanes may be limited or closed to accommodate school carnivals and other special events.
Lap swimming options:
- Gym & Swim Memberships – Book online. Included in active membership and will not display a cost on booking.
- Casual – Purchase and book online for $9, per booking. Casual users are required to first check-in at the Front Desk.
- Concession casual (shallow water only) – Purchase and book online for $9, per booking. Casual users are required to first check-in at the Front Desk.
- Swim Pass Holders – Purchase at Front Desk. Book online. Will not display a cost on booking. One visit, per booking will be deducted from Multi Visit Swim Pass. 20 Visit Multi Visit Swim Passes are available from the front desk for $120 concession. $150 adult
GYM & SWIM MEMBERSHIPS
Watch Around Water Policy Information
At YMCA Victoria we are a Watch Around Water endorsed aquatic safety organisation. The following information is the new watch around water policy launched in centre from 1 September 2019.
Watch Around Water is a set of industry guidelines outlining the minimum supervision requirements of young children at all affiliated aquatic venues.
Children under 5 years oldAll Children MUST be accompanied into the Centre by a person over the age of 18 and supervised within arms’ reach, at all times in the water.
All children MUST wear a pink wristband supplied by YMCA staff to help identify their age while swimming.
Children will not be admitted without a full fee paying parent/guardian who must also be in the water at all times. Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 5 years exceeds the ratio of 1:2 (effective September 1 2019).
Children under 10 years oldAll Children under the age of 10 MUST be accompanied into the Centre by a person over the age of 18. All children MUST be actively supervised by an adult over the age of 18 at all times. The adult must have a clear and active view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them (this includes tech and devices).
All children MUST wear a yellow wristband supplied by YMCA staff to help identify their age while swimming. Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 10 years exceeds the ratio of 1:4.
Birthday PartiesAll children under the age of 10 MUST be accompanied into the Centre by a person over the age of 18 and handed over to the supervision of the birthday party leader (staff member).
All birthday party participants must wear a BLUE wristband AND an age based wristband (pink or yellow) to identify their participation in a party (effective September 1 2019). The adult guardian of the birthday party child MUST remain accessible and actively supervise the group at all times.
At the conclusion of the birthday party the child/children will remain in the supervision of the birthday party leader and supervising parent until physically handed over to their supervising parent/guardian.
Visit the watch around water websiteFor more information visit the Watch Around Water website: http://www.watcharoundwater.org.au