Introduce your child to water in a playful and secure environment.
In the infant program, a parent or carer supports the baby or toddler in the pool. This helps build confidence and supports the child's learning process as well as create a unique bonding and trust building experience between parent and child.
Children will learn to:
- water conditioning skills and understand trigger/cues for safe swimming
- parents will learn correct hold techniques to ensure babies are comfortable in the water
- submersions - babies will learn breath control and introduction to blowing bubbles
- motor skills – working toward independent movement through interactive activities – paddle, kick and propulsion
- survival skills – entries and exits
- socialisation with other children through interactive and engaging activities
Our swimming teachers
Our teachers hold nationally accredited swimming teacher and water safety certificates, and specialised qualifications for teaching infants. They have current CPR and first aid certificates, and have training in safeguarding children and young people.
Ages: 6 - 12 months
Ages: 1 - 2 years
Ages: 2 - 3.5 years
Swimming Lessons Information
Program and Safety Requirements
Infant and Preschool lessons
- Babies must be at least 6 months old
- Children in nappies must wear aqua nappies that are tight fitting around the thighs (you can buy them in centre)
- Parents should bring bathers during the first few lessons, in case the child gets upset and needs support in the water
All child lessons
- Bring bathers, towel, goggles (recommended, but not required) and dry clothes
- Come to the edge of the pool at the start of the lesson and directly hand over your child to the teacher
- Watch the lesson (Preschool classes)
- Stay as close as possible to the lesson (for example, by sitting in the chairs around the pool)
- Come to the edge of the pool at the end of the lesson and collect your child
- Photos are only allowed in the pool area with prior arrangement (never in the change room area). See our FAQs page for more information.
To provide a safe environment for your child, parents/carers must stay in the pool with infants for the whole lesson.
We can develop swimming lessons on request to cater for participants with special needs.
We can custom-design swimming programs for school or community groups of all ages with intellectual or physical disabilities. The programs focus on improvement of health and wellbeing and enhance self confidence.
Our teachers are AUSTSWIM accredited, and provide a safe, social and encouraging learning environment. To find out more, contact our friendly customer service team on (08) 8198 0198.
Feel free to come into the centre and speak to one of our customer service officers, call us on (08) 8198 0198 or fill out the enquiry form on this page. We also offer free, no obligation swimming assessments to determine which class is right for you.
For more information, or to register your interest in swimming lessons, fill in the enquiry form on this page and one of our friendly customer service team will be in touch.
Student and parent features
Swimming lessons members receive:
- One 30-minute swimming lesson per week
- Eight make-up lessons per year
- Access to Splash Park and the Leisure Pool outside lesson times. For further information please click here.
Parents of children will receive:
- Parent-teacher feedback week (conducted 6 monthly.)
- SwimDesk parent portal to allow you to track your child’s achievements as they progress through the swim program.
Fortnightly direct debit Standard Rate $44.80
Prices as at 1st February 2020
Enrol or find out more
To request an over the phone enrolment or to find out more please complete the below form.
Watch Around Water Policy Information
At YMCA Victoria we are a Watch Around Water endorsed aquatic safety organisation. The following information is the new watch around water policy launched in centre from 1 September 2019.
Watch Around Water is a set of industry guidelines outlining the minimum supervision requirements of young children at all affiliated aquatic venues.
Children under 5 years oldAll Children MUST be accompanied into the Centre by a person over the age of 18 and supervised within arms’ reach, at all times in the water.
All children MUST wear a pink wristband supplied by YMCA staff to help identify their age while swimming.
Children will not be admitted without a full fee paying parent/guardian who must also be in the water at all times. Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 5 years exceeds the ratio of 1:2 (effective September 1 2019).
Children under 10 years oldAll Children under the age of 10 MUST be accompanied into the Centre by a person over the age of 18. All children MUST be actively supervised by an adult over the age of 18 at all times. The adult must have a clear and active view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them (this includes tech and devices).
All children MUST wear a yellow wristband supplied by YMCA staff to help identify their age while swimming. Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 10 years exceeds the ratio of 1:4.
Birthday PartiesAll children under the age of 10 MUST be accompanied into the Centre by a person over the age of 18 and handed over to the supervision of the birthday party leader (staff member).
All birthday party participants must wear a BLUE wristband AND an age based wristband (pink or yellow) to identify their participation in a party (effective September 1 2019). The adult guardian of the birthday party child MUST remain accessible and actively supervise the group at all times.
At the conclusion of the birthday party the child/children will remain in the supervision of the birthday party leader and supervising parent until physically handed over to their supervising parent/guardian.
Visit the watch around water websiteFor more information visit the Watch Around Water website: http://www.watcharoundwater.org.au